Piano Jazz - The ii-V-I progression

The ii-V-I chord progression is each music genres one of the most played chord sequence. It is very common in Jazz (some standards include it several times) and every Jazz Pianist must spend at the beginning hours of study to learn it in all keys, in all its variations and inversions, and adding all tensions to the chords.

The first example that came to my mind to show how often this chords sequence is used, is the standard "All The Thing You Are" see the side picture.

It is impossible to prepare a complete list of progressions because the combinations between keys, tensions, inversions etc. are pretty unlimited.

Anyway I prepared some examples of different ii-V-I progressions in each keys, that can be played with the right hand or with the left. Click to enlarge them and use the right mouse click to save.

only 3rd + 7th
(position I)
only 3rd + 7th
(position II)
add 13
(position I)
add 13
(position II)
add #11

add b13
 (position I)
add b13
(position II)

add b13
(position III) 

add b13
(position IV) 

add b9 + 13
 
add b9 + b13
 (position I)
add b9 + b13
 (position II)
add #9 + b9 + #11

Coming soon Coming soon

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫

Comments

  1. I rely on YouTube to lead me to sites, such as this one.
    Excellant material, I have downloaded one song to learn, but anticipate that I will be a returning user.

    Thank you for the effort you have put into this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment